WALA Seeks $40.4 Million Investment in Workforce
Thursday, September 08, 2016
Posted by: Sarah Bass
The State's four long-term care providers respectfully ask the Governor and State Legislature to invest $40.4 million GPR in the 2017-19 biennial budget to fund increases for the direct care and services component of the Family Care capitation rates-- doing so will target critically needed increases to address the long-term care workforce crisis. GPR is an acronym for state funding, that would be matched with Federal Medicaid dollars to provide an approximate total of $100 million all funds (state and federal).
While the associations are looking at various proposals to deal with the workforce shortage crisis, the following paper is the financial ask of the long-term care providers to the Wisconsin Governor and State Legislature that is being requested be included in the 2017-19 biennial budget. Wisconsin's biennial budget is traditionally introduced in late January or early February, and finalized after legislative hearings and votes by the end of June 2017.
CALL TO ACTION - INVITE YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS
It's easy and necessary if we are to be successful in obtaining increases in Family Care!
If you have not hosted a tour or met with your state senator or assembly representative - we ask that you please do so between now and mid-October. This two-page paper will serve as your talking points and handout - along with your personal experiences with recruiting and retaining direct caregivers and your experiences with Family Care reductions and stagnant rate increases.
Three Steps to a Successful Legislative Tour:
1. Identify Your State Senator and State Assembly Representative.
- CLICK HERE and enter your address to obtain contact information.
2. Call and Email an Invitation to Your State Senator and Assembly Representative. WALA can also schedule an event for you! Contact Sarah Bass at 608-442-0375 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invite them to tour your facility and meet your residents and staff.
- Talk to them about your experiences in Family Care and workforce challenges.
- This paper will serve as your talking points and as your handout.